Homeland Security and Policing
Write a response to the following prompt:
What are the six main officer vulnerability issues when dealing with homeland security/confronting terrorists? Why are these issues a problem in terms of safety of the officer?
List the initial steps that should be taken when responding to a terrorist or major event and how can COPPS assist in these situations either before, during, or after the event?
· The six main officer’s vulnerability issues in dealing with Homeland Security confronting terrorist are:
Heather wrote week 5 discussion 2
The six main officer’s vulnerability issues in dealing with Homeland Security confronting terrorist are:
1. Traffic stops- officers have a lack of knowledge when they stop a motorist. They do not know who is behind the wheel when making these stops.
2. Resident visit- Police officers are on the extremist turf. This puts them at a disadvantage. Extremist are armed and may view the officers as a threat.
3. Rallies/marches- police are at risk from protesters throwing rocks, sticks and other projectiles. Demonstrators also think that physical violence is the best way to handle the police.
4. Confrontations/standoffs- any incident can arise.
5. Revenge/retaliation- “a terrorist may be motivated by personal benefit or revenge, such as one who attempts to blow up an Internal Revenue Service office because he was audit” (Peak, Gaines, & Glensor, 2012).
6. Incident responses- there are many forms that can range from activities of terrorist and acts of nature.
The initial steps when responding to a terrorist or major event is:
If first on scene: is to establish control of the scene, command and the incoming units.
If the command is already established: then the officers will respond to the command post, make sure the scene is safe, gather witness statements, control traffic, notify other agencies, and preserve the scene etc.
COPPs can assist in these situations by “training of first responders in this area reduces the information gap between police and other services” (Peak, Gaines, & Glensor, 2012). This needs to be embraced by all of the agencies management for it to work.
Since COPPs bridges the gap between the police and the community. It will bring them together to find solutions that will solve the communities trust and concerns. It will also help the police get to know the area where the activity is and they will gain the necessary knowledge of the area that they patrol.
Peak, K., Gaines, L. & Glensor, R. (2010). Police supervision and management in an era of community policing (3rd ed.) Upper saddle, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc. ISBN: 9780135154663
need to tell the bad and good of post list references thanks
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount! Use Discount Code “Newclient” for a 15% Discount!NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.
The post writing need help please 224 appeared first on Nursing Writers Hub.