For a course on contemporary issues in science, you are assigned to write a research paper on a current issue. You have chosen the topic “genetically modified foods.” Your assignment indicates that you should use a variety of resources, including books, articles, and Web sites, to find information for your paper.
- Applying evaluation criteria for Web sources, which of the following seems most appropriate to use in your research on genetically modified foods?
- Web site of a company that produces genetically modified corn, last updated in 2002
- annotated bibliography on genetically altered crops published in 2009 by a federal agricultural agency
- Web site of a vegetarian activist group that advocates organic food production
- essay on genetics in foods posted on a well-known university’s Web site that is unfinished and has no author and no date
- allerg* AND (child* OR youth) AND “genetically modified foods”
- “genetically modified foods” AND health
- (nutrition OR allergies) AND child*
- health AND risk AND (child* OR youth) AND allergies
- Narrow your keywords to include more specific terms on the topic
- Broaden your keywords and revise your search statement
- Change your topic to one that is covered in your textbook
- Write the paper using the materials you found
- Which of the following search statements would be most likely to retrieve relevant articles on the topic of the health risks of genetically modified foods for children with food allergies?
- You have found a journal article that analyzes recent trends in genetically engineered crop research. This article would be considered which type of information?
- After searching for information on your topic in the library catalog, Web search tools, and library databases, you have still not found enough material on your topic. What should you do next?
You have found the following database record when searching for articles on your research topic. Use it to answer questions 32–33.
Strategies to Evaluate the Safety of Bioengineered Foods
International Journal of Toxicology; Sept. 2007, Vol. 26 Issue 5, pp. 389–399
Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition
Genetically modified foods
Food – Biotechnology