Biology homework help
Controversial Issues in Biology and Ethical Decision making
Objective: This assignment is designed as an introduction to thinking ethically. The goal for students: identify facts and parties involved as well as the ethical standards necessary in ethical and policy decision making.
1. Visit the following website: bioethics.com
2. select an article from the numerous available categories
3. Click on the “tools” tab, then scroll down to “blogs”
4. Post a short essay (400-800 words) describing the research and your reaction to this controversial issue in biology today. Please use the questions below to guide you in your efforts.
5. Suggested topics may include stem cell research, cloning, GMOs, end of life decisions, transhumanism or any issue that relates to the environment or ethical treatment of animals. Select a topic that interests YOU.
6. You may also site other references which may or may not be peer reviewed as we are generating public discussion and debate.
7. Respectfully respond to one other student’s blog.
|Question or concern
1.Please post the link to the article you visited
|2. What is the ethical issue or topic of concern? Why is this issue controversial?||2|
|3. What is the procedure, activity, research or technology used for?
4. What is the goal?
5. What studies are being conducted?
|6. What are the pros and cons?||3|
|7. What parties are affected?
8. What moral rights do the affected parties have?
9. How are these rights being violated?
|10. What role has the media or education system played (if any) in reporting this issue and how has it affected the public?
11. Do you feel the reporting has been fair and unbiased?
|12. What treatment (policy or decision) do you support?
13. Which method (below) will you use to arrive at this decision?
1. What leads to the best overall consequences? (Utilitarian approach)
2. Which course of action best respects all parties’ rights? (rights approach)
3. Which course of action treats everyone the same and does not show discrimination? (The fairness or justice approach)
4. Which course of action advances the common good (common good approach)
5. Which course of action develops moral virtues (The virtue approach)
|14. Find another article on this same issue. Describe how this article relates to the article you summarized (above) (Does the study contradict what you found? IS the author for or against the technology? Etc.)Please the link to the 2nd article you found.||3|
|15. Respectfully respond to one other student blog; Reply to any comments made to your blog. Your comments should attempt to generate discussion and dig deeper into the issues.||5|