Establishing classroom procedures and routines helps to optimize time for instruction and allows the learning environment to operate efficiently. Students and teachers need to have procedures for everything, based on the needs of the particular class.
For this assignment, identify a class of students in terms of grade level, K-8, and number of students in the class. Create a 10-12 slide digital presentation for the first day of school that will demonstrate how you will introduce expectations, processes, and diversity to your class.
Your digital presentation must include three parts:
Part 1 – Introduction
- How to introduce yourself to your students
- How students will introduce themselves to each other
- How the expectations, procedures, and behavior management will be introduced
- How the procedures and expectations will be enforced, along with possible consequences
Part 2 – Expectations for Policies and Procedures
Choose five policies and procedures, applicable to your chosen grade level, from the list below or of your own, and describe how to implement them in your future classroom:
- Entering the classroom
- Using the restrooms
- When students may go to the trash cans
- The use of technology in the classroom
- Turning in classwork and homework
- Talking to others in the classroom
- Gaining student attention
Part 3 – Incorporate Diversity
- How to address diverse needs in your class (e.g., a student in a wheelchair, a student does not speak English, a student who does not celebrate traditional holidays, a student who cannot eat certain foods because of religion, a student who is a different race than the rest of the class, etc.)
- How to instructionally support various diverse needs, including language, family backgrounds, skills, and abilities in your classroom
- How to develop a culture in your classroom that values each students’ diverse background
- How to establish and maintain a positive and collaborative relationship with families.